|Also Known As:||Loonies|
Crowbar (unseen) (Barry claims to have beaten his wife to death with a crowbar.)
|Allies:||The White Rabbit|
Valiant Video Enterprises
|Enemies:||James Earl Cash|
|Voiced by:||Robert Stanton|
Tony F. DeVito
- "Gather round everybody, we're going to play some games!"
- - Barry
The Smileys are a mentally disturbed gang made up of the former inmates of Darkwoods Penitentiary. After James Earl Cash's execution was faked, they broke free and killed all the guards, taking over the entire asylum. They formed a gang called the Smileys and were employed by Starkweather for use in his snuff films. Members of the Smileys are genuine psychopaths and mentally unstable murderers, and kill Starkweather's runners for their own sick pleasure. They wield a variety of weapons such as Meat Cleavers, Knives and several firearms including Revolvers and Shotguns.
They all wear yellow smiley face masks, some covered in blood and others with "kill" and "please stop me" scrawled messily across them. Smilies are also covered in tattoos and can be seen wearing blouses and garters. They are the last Hunters Cash faces off against in the snuff movie before moving on to Starkweather's estate. They seem to be capable of taking basic orders however, as they can be seen guarding important locations and being sent to kill Cash on command. They are some of the toughest adversaries Cash will face off against in the game.
Lionel Starkweather decided to make them the final hunters in his new movie, starring James Earl Cash. Starkweather picked them for the finale over the Clowns as the Smileys are considered superior.
After leaving the Carcer Chem Factory, James Earl Cash returns to Darkwoods Penitentiary to face his former fellow inmates, the Smileys. Cash kills all the Smileys in his path as he makes his way past the greenhouses and blasts through a wall the Smilieys built to block the path. He kills the Smiley guarding the tower and brings his body to the guard room as instructed. He then kills more Smileys with a Hammer and Metal Bat before shooting his way past them to the showerblock.
The Smileys are then used to ambush Cash as the White Rabbit leads him into traps, but they are beaten back by Cash as he plows through them. In a last resort attack, the White Rabbit sends out the remaining Smileys to shoot down Cash but he manages to kill every last one of them.
- The Smileys are a reference to a gang in GTA 2 called the Loonies, whose logo is a yellow smiley face and occupy a mental hospital. Starkweather refers to the Smileys as loonies.
- Before the final release, some of the Smileys used a Hammer.
- The Smileys were removed from Brawl Game.
- Taking part in Rockstar's special event weekend for Grand Theft Auto Online's 1.17 update will give you a Smileys hockey mask with "Please Stop Me" scrawled across it.
- Seven voice actors are credited for the Smileys, but only six are used in game/found in the game files. It is possible that more than one voice actor provided audio for the Smiley who's dialogue is mostly just jabbering, yelling and screaming.
- The Smileys are a clear reference to American serial killer Keith Jesperson aka " The Smiley Face killer" as shown by Scarecrow's real last name being Jesperson.
- One of the cross-dressing Smileys wears a sleeveless T-shirt with a pig face on it. This is likely yet another reference to Piggsy.
- From the artwork found in the bonus section, multiple beta/cut ideas can be seen. A Smiley can be seen holding a drill, which was ultimately cut from the game. They also seem to be dual-welding, although it is unknown if Rockstar ever intended for it to be a feature. There was also going to be an Overweight variant of the Smileys and they appeared to be wearing jumpsuits. In the top left corner, it seems to be a beta Smiley as the model is never seen in game. The model is likely either a cut model of the Overall variant or a cut model of the Jumpsuit phase.
- ↑ See bonus material #01 - "Fierce rivalry exists between to two gangs and although the Smileys are regarded as the superior pack, the Clowns are not to be laughed at."
- ↑ From the official Manhunt instruction manual: "Unbeknownst to the public, Cash's execution was all a ruse, thanks to the corrupt Darkwoods Penitentiary staff."