Cottonmouth is the main setting of Manhunt 2. It was stated to be inspired by a bunch of large southern American cities, but not any one in particular, meaning that Cottonmouth is on the southern coast of the USA.
It is depicted in the game to be a large coastal city, possibly situated on Gulf of Mexico or the shores of the Atlantic Ocean due to the presence of a port in the mission Best Friends.
However, the city looks like a combination of New Orleans and Atlanta in general. It is also unknown in which state Cottonmouth is or if it is a real or fictional state. There are license plates scattered on some cars and trucks. Even though the city is implied to be big, the exact population is unknown.
It is also believed that Cottonmouth exists in the same fictional world as the Grand Theft Auto games, because of overlaps and references within them. This city is much more modern, cleaner, and safer than Carcer City, with skyscrapers in the area of Downtown, domiciled houses, and blocks. Compared to Carcer City with it's tough and sadistic gangs, Danny and Leo seem to be more dangerous.
City Center Edit
- Main article: City Center
The City Center is the the biggest place in Cottonmouth, and has several skyscrapers that can be seen from the distance. The skyline seems to be heavily inspired by downtown Atlanta and the midtown district of New Orleans.
Red Light District Edit
- Main article: Red Light District
The Red Light District is a mid-sized area located in Cottonmouth and is heavily based off of the French Quarter in New Orleans. It's unknown where it is located in the city, but it is home to several strip clubs and brothels, notably the Bees' Honey Pot, the Strip Club and Fetish Dungeon and the Velvet Glove. It is also the turf of the Red Kings, with their main base being located in the abandoned Flipper Fruit grocery store.
Wooddale Community Enclave Edit
- Main article: Wooddale Community Enclave
Rich District Edit
- Dixmor Hospital for the Criminally Insane - Daniel Lamb and Leo Kasper escape from the asylum at the beginning of the game.
- Daniel's house - the first place that Daniel and Leo visit after escaping.
- Strip Club and Fetish Dungeon - run by The Pervs.
- Velvet Glove - a porn shop owned by The Pervs. It is located in the Red Light District.
- T&A - a strip club.
- The XXX Cavator - a sex shop in the Red Light District.
- A Fifty Five - a strip club located in the Red Light District.
- Blackwell Island - the Fisto Sugar Factory is located on the island.
- Porn Theatre/Daniel's Safe House - Daniel's secret safe house located in an abandoned movie theatre.
- Bees' Honey Pot - a brothel owned by The Pervs.
- Project Plaza - a plaza in the heart of the city.
- RSV Gas Station - a gas station.
- Project Warehouses - owned by The Project. Records are stashed in the warehouses.
- Project Laboratories - owned by The Project, there's a veterinarian lab in the building.
- Project Office Skyscraper - situated on the Project Plaza.
- TVMK Studio - owned by The Project, there's a 5 Past High Noon set located in a studio and a studio backlot.
- Titty Citty - a strip club located in the Red Light District.
- Weary Pines Cemetery - Mrs. Lamb is buried here.
- Flipper Fruit - abandoned fruit shop, owned by The Red Kings.
- Sewer system - running all over the city.
- Burger Shot - fast food restaurant.
- Sub Urban - clothes shop.
- Train Yard - located near the Project Warehouses.
- Auto Shop - probably a part of the RSV Gas Station.
Comparisons to other Rockstar-developed games Edit
Some places in the city are similar to other places of the cities in the Grand Theft Auto 3D Universe:
- The Red Light District is similar to the Red Light District in Liberty City.
- The Sewer System in Cottonmouth is much the same as the sewer system in Los Santos.
- The Downtown area is similar to the Downtown in Los Santos. Some building models from Los Santos are reused in the game.
- The rich suburban district in the level Most Wanted is alike the Prickle Pine district in Las Venturas.
- The residential district in the level Domestic Disturbance is similar to the Rockshore West district in Las Venturas.
- The final room in the mansion in Daniel's mind in the level Release Therapy is similar to the attic room in the level Deliverance in Manhunt, where James Earl Cash killed Starkweather.
- The studio back lot is alike the Red County in San Andreas.
- There are unused brothels in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (that can be accessed via glitches) that resemble Bees' Honey Pot.
In 2001, the city has a low crime rate. This is mentioned by a civilian in the level Domestic Disturbance, who says "This neighborhood is completely safe, hasn't been a mugging in 8 years." However, by 2007, the crime rate went up severely. The main problem for the city is the organized crime, and in particular the problem of gangs (such as The Red Kings).
The city has also problems with specific individuals like Leo Kasper and Daniel Lamb. The force responsible for patrolling and maintaining order in the city is the Police Department, consisting of Cops and a S.W.A.T. team.
Hunters in the City Edit
Bounty Hunters and Hitmen Edit
Police Department Edit
Notable Residents Edit
- Daniel Lamb - protagonist
- Leo Kasper - second playable character/antagonist
- Dr. Pickman - antagonist
- Dr. Whyte - Daniel's friend
- Dr. Deborah - murdered by Leo
- Michael Grant - Daniel's friend
- Judy Sender - Daniel's friend
- Mrs. Lamb - Daniel's wife
- Mendez - asylum orderly
- Reznick - asylum orderly
- Tom - asylum orderly
- George - asylum orderly
- Reggie - asylum orderly
- Hays - a Watchdog
- Spalding - a Watchdog
- Grimmins - a Watchdog
- Vencheck - a Watchdog
- Spangler - a Watchdog
- Marko - a Watchdog
- Cletus - a Bloodhound
- Johnny - a Bloodhound
- Georgey Boy - a Perv
- Charlie - a cop
- Louise - a civilian
- Walton - a civilian
- Harold - a civilian
- Terry Helmut - a TV host
- Shaniquwa - a music star
- Hans Idol - an actor
- Heidi Hole - an actress
- Marge - a prostitute
- Betty - a prostitute
- Ethel - a prostitute
- Ada - a prostitute
The main form of transport throughout the city is by road, there is a prominent freeway seen in the level Ritual Cleansing. There is also a train system and a Port situated near the bay and Blackwell Island. Ship sirens can be heard in this area. Like other cities, it is mused to be an airport here.
The city is located in a cold, temperate and rainy climate. It has occasional thunderstorms and rain. There are no visual clouds except when there's rain. Sometimes, the sky is colored a dark-blue haze color. In the level Best Friends, the sky is clear and surrounded by stars, the water is covered by fog, but at the end of the level, the fog disappears. In the level Altered State, the moon appears to be big.
- Strangely, the Cottonmouth Police Department seal was supposed to appear on the Police Maverick as seen in some trailers, but it was cut. (however it was found in the beta texture files). Also, the police cars don't bear the seal. Also, throughout the game, it is never mentioned the name of the city and in the Manhunt 2 instruction booklet it is said in one of the cases that the downtown area is called simply "City Center". This mean that the city from Manhunt 2 was supposed to be called Cottonmouth, but by judging by the facts above, technically in the game, the city is unnamed, even if the name was revealed by the Rockstar Games. It is unknown why the city isn't technically named in the game or mentioned. Ironically, many districts and neighborhoods around have a name (e.g. Wooddale, Red Light District, Maibatsu Plaza, Blackwell Island etc.)
- Cottonmouth is a type of snake found in the southeastern part of the United States, probably giving a clue to where the city would be located.
- In the mission Broadcast Interrupted, there is a weather board showing an unspecified map. It is unknown what the area represented in the map, but it would be the location of Cottonmouth or some other locations nearby because the weather board belongs to The Project as they focuses on experiments in Cottonmouth and some companies here are owned by them.
- Cottonmouth appears to be surrounded by mountains, which would be almost unrealistically for a coastal US southern city.
- A river might be located in Cottonmouth, since there are sewer systems.
- If Cottonmouth is inspired from New Orleans, the city might be located in a parish and not a county, since New Orleans is in Orleans Parish.
- The seal of Cottonmouth Police Department shows a body of water, probably a sea or an ocean, a hidden shinning sun and some palm trees on a coastline. Despite this, Cottonmouth must be located in a tropical or a Mediterranean climate and could support the fact that Cottonmouth is a southern US city. The seal looks almost identical with that of the Vice City Police Department.
- The pedestrians in the city speak with a Southern accent.
- In the artwork of the Red Light District, some skyscrapers can be seen in the background. One in the left side resembles the One Shell Square building in New Orleans and AT&T Midtown Center in Atlanta, the big one in the right side is hard to identify because it's a silhouette, but it would bear some resemblances to the Sun Trust Plaza in Atlanta. The building behind the Bees Honey Pot looks like a down-sized version of Coca-Cola Headquarters building in Atlanta and the other one in the right, which seems to bear a large antenna on it's rooftop, would be inspired by Westin Peachtree Plaza building also in Atlanta. This indicates that the Downtown area of Cottonmouth would be based on Downtown Atlanta or Midtown Atlanta.
- The map of Cottonmouth or at least, it's shape, could be represented by the police patch, as it takes many features from the New Orleans Police patch: the crescent and a possibly white star. The N.O.P.D's patch's crescent represents the city's shape. Because Cottonmouth Police is heavily based on N.O.P.D, we can assume that the crescent on the patch is the shape of Cottonmouth.
- New Orleans is best known for it's cotton production and, also, it sits on the mouth of Mississippi River, hence resulting Cottonmouth.
- In 2007, Cottonmouth's criminality rate raised very much due to the large amount of levels happening in this period. This might be a reference to the criminality rate in New Orleans in the same period, as New Orleans was described as the "Murder Capital of the United States". Although, in 2001 period, the criminality rate is rather lower, according to some pedestrians in Domestic Disturbance mission.